Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Christmas Season Movie Interlude

youIf I'm not thinking about politics and policy, I'm often thinking about movies. So what would interest me more than seeing that there was a call to boycott the movie Chapter 27 Starring Jared "next Johnny Depp" Leto and Lindsay "next Tara Reid" Lohan. Now here's an issue we can really sink our collective teeth into!

The movie is an independent production about Mark David Chapman. He's the maladjusted horrible little man that took John Lennon away from us in 1981. Some argue that the movie should be boycotted because this gives Chapman, who has been in special custody since 1981, the fame he craved.

What's most ironic is that one of the people leading the boycott is Don Murphy. He's the producer of Natural Born Killers. You may remember Natural Born Killers from back when people were busy organising boycotts about it. Anyway, I was on Don Murphy's message board recently - I go there now and then because Murphy is a foul mouthed temper tantrum prone bully - you know, the kind of guy that is ALWAYS fun to read - who is busy turning the new transfomers movie into an episode of Herbie the Love Bug alongside Director, Michael Bay.

Now, Cicero may have a libertarian streak or something but if you want to boycott art you had better have a VERY good reason. I don't think this qualifies.

Anyway, if you go here you can see me fight with him on his message board. Its an entertaining fight. I make points. He calls me "dickbunny", bans me from posting and changes my login name to "cuminginpants". And, oh yeah, tried to release my email address so people could spam bomb me.

If you guys want to know why movies today can be ... problematic... then you might want to check this character out ;-).

Edit: When reading please note a few things. First, I can now no longer rebut him on his message board - hence why he has some unanswered attacks on me on there. And I'm not getting into a big sniping match with him in my own comments section. Second, I also didn't post this blog post there on his message board. He did. Third, he has a bad habit of re-editing earlier posts to close gaps in his arguments. So just be aware of that. Also so far people have been kind enough to not spambomb my email address at all. That proves there is good in the world after all. :) Anyway, I had fun and you will too if you read it. Trust me.

Yet another edit - On January 3, 2007: I didn't know this at the time but Murphy has also spent a great deal of time in the earlier 2000s attempting to get a Charles Manson Biopic off the ground. The fact that someone could produce that project on the one hand and boycott the Chapman project with a straight face on the other....awes me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no as a matter of fact you made no points and your email was posted because losers like you need to be mocked at all costs.

Cicero In Pants said...

Yes, Don. We all know what YOUR opinion is now. Thanks so much for it. You can go back to giving swirlies to twelve year olds now. Or maybe you could go ask Quentin Tarantino to beat you up again.

I'm glad you hate Mark David Chapman. I'm just disappointed in an artist who got famous by being controversial being so quick to ask people to boycott someone else's art. There may be a good argument to not see this film for some people. Coming from you, though... its pathetic.