Wednesday, December 13, 2006

"Cicero in Pants?" Cory, Why on earth? That's just...weird.




Once upon a time a young man (it was ME, dear reader!) was trying to sign up to some thing or other on "teh interwebz" as the kids call it today, and was trying to think up a username pseudonym. As far as I know, pseudonyms are the only thing that Internet geeks have in common with superstar rappers. Don't take it away from us. (If you know of any others the comment section is open below).
I tend to like naming myself after old Greeks and Romans. Why? I don't really know. If I ever get a therapist, I promise to explore that. But Coriolanus and Cicero have always been favorites of mine. Coriolanus because I suppose I can empathise with the character's prickly side. Cicero because I spent a lot of time in University doing debate and public speaking and other Ciceroesque pursuits.

Unfortunately if you break the syllables down in Coriolanus you get a very unflattering description of me. And while I'm not saying that Cory is NOT an Old Anus - many are emphatically of the opinion that I am - that started to give ol' Cicero the edge in the nickname races. (interjection: Alcibiades, stop calling the house. the answer is still no.)

As you might guess, Cicero isn't that original and has already been taken as a nickname in most forums. So once when I was stuck deciding between random numbers like Cicero337 or Cicero666 (orator of the beast?) I whimsically and in a moment of madness made myself Cicero in Pants. Why? Because Romans wore Togas - at least at the office. I, on the other hand, wear pants. Its an updating to modernity reference. "Cicero-with-hot-water-electricity-and-stick antiperspirant" just wouldn't fit in the username field.

I eventually asked Andrea Bruce, who is a wonderfully talented illustrator, to draw me a little CIP icon that I could put on my livejournal based on the theme. Icons are "the thing" on livejournal and I felt naked without one. If you check the livejournal out now, you can see that I wasnt thinking of it as a very serious project. Its all just a parking place for Youtube links (as of December 13, 2006) and an avenue to some carefree online forums. I would have been happy with a drawing of a stick man.

Instead Andrea's work exceeded my expectation so much that I decided to stop waiting to design the perfect blog and decided that this was more than perfect enough. It was time to stop dilly dallying and start ranting. I asked her to turn the icon into a banner and help me wrestle Beta Blogger into submission. Which she did. So, here I am and there it is. Accidental, yes. Weird? maybe. But I'm very happy with the whole thing.

So consider Cicero as an inspirational figure for this blog in substance if (clearly) not in form or talent. He was fascinated with policy and politics, liked to talk, and had trouble picking sides. I can empathise. I am NOT equating myself with the man's greatness. I hope you will accept that fact. In return I agree to accept that just because your username pseudonym is Incredible_Hulk_in_Idaho you don't think you are a big green monster with a fetish for fresh potatoes.

...If its still an issue for you, I guess you should ask yourself why you want me out of my pants so badly.

----------------------------------------------
I'm off for an office Festivus party that promises to be fantastic - and what better time of year to start Airing My Grievances! Its fate I tells ya. I'll see you all on the morrow. Lotsa Love and thanks for dropping by.

7 comments:

Andrea Bruce said...

Despite people inclination to recognize you for an old anus (has led to some awkward moments for me. That's for sure), I think you made a wiser choice with Cicero in Pants. Makes for a funnier user icon.

Thanks for the Plug. :) I should get an art blog going (could use this blogger account that Gmail conveniently made for me without me asking...did I ask you to make me a blogger account Google? No? I didn't think so.) but the problem is, I don't produce enough art right now with school and all. The MSNlivespace will have to do for now. :)

Anyways, good luck and just make sure you dont put on THE WRONG TROUSERS!

andrew said...

Cory: you are the wind beneath my wings.

jillian said...

Your fly is down.

That wouldn't happen with a toga, my friend. No sir.

Jessica McGann said...

Hi Cory, first-time reader here, long-time commentor...
Very excited about your presence on the vaunted blogosphere, but actually moved to comment on something entirely unrelated because of your link to Christopher Hitchens'... website and the fact that I, a) am an insomniac, and b) was just reading about why he thinks women aren't funny. Being contrary yourself, you probably eat this shit up, but I think dude is losing his edge. I mean, c'mon.
Maybe you should link to Rick Mercer instead.

Anyway.

Andrea Bruce said...

I would have to say that Christopher Hitchens has lost it. Anyone who would claim that "The chief task in life that a man has to perform is that of impressing the opposite sex, and Mother Nature (as we laughingly call her) is not so kind to men." for whatever reason is not thinking right. Anyways, being not familiar with this man's work (I am not a "current events person" - I know, a shock to most of you, I know, but we do exist, happily I might add.) but I think I would be as inclined to read dear Chris's writings as much I would support Joe Francis as a women's rights activist enabling women to get seen.

Cicero In Pants said...

To Jessica:

Thanks for reading and for the comment. At the risk of getting deeply mired in the quicksand of a gender issue that I really have no strong opinion on, might I ask if it telling that you didn't suggest a female comedian instead of Mr. Mercer? ;-)

Andrea Bruce said...

I believe these are still screened...you don't have to post it.

I was just reading through the mafia scum link you sent me and I just wanted to say thanks for all the plugs. :) Gratias ago meo bono amico Ciceroni.

All the best, 'till we meet again!

Si valet, valeo.